Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:31:24 -0500
Sharon Giles wrote:

[ This whole anti-HRT thing is really annoying me since it is not a
theoretic,
 romantic, 'life should be this way' affair to me. As an actual
 postmenopausal woman who takes HRT, I personally feel the benefits.]

Alison responds:

[That is fantastic - for you.

My determination to avoid HRT is also not hypothetical or romantic.
I have avoided taking thyroxine and insulin by taking charge of my own
health and I can't see any reason to lack confidence as far as coping
with menopause is concerned.]

This discussion was begun by Justin, who I believe is an 18 year old male.
By Justin's own admission, he would rather look good and die young than get
old and look not so good.

I am sure that there will be people who have no problems on HRT, and there
are those of us whose intuitions tell us it is not for us.

I am a post-menopausal woman (11 years). who experienced menopause at a very
young age due to bodily malfunctions.  I've taken nothing for it, take no
allopathic meds, and feel healthier than I have all my life.  I engage in
rough and tumble activity (rugby) and have encountered no difficulties doing
that.  I am 45 years old.  Most people guess my age to be between 32 and 35.

In other words, our experiences will be different as we differ from each
other.  But I hesitate to take seriously the assertions of a young male for
whom aging is an emotionally difficult issue.  His opinions on HRT are
obviously filtered through these emotions.

Siobhan