From:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:14:26 -0700
Hi, Don!

Someone on the Celiac List finally got wise, and suggested recently that we
would be better off avoiding the non-gluten grains.  If I remember
correctly, he mentioned the fact that those grains usually have a higher
glycemic index than wheat, and are a big part of the reason for celiacs'
gaining weight after going gf.

Dr. Mercola has written a book, "The No-Grain Diet."  The first link on his
home page is "The #1 Step You Should Take Now to Improve Your Health - If
you want to prevent disease, optimize your weight, and live longer, this
introductory article on the dangers of grains and sugars is a
must-read."  Should be some ammunition for you there.

http://www.mercola.com/

I have a book by Melissa Diane Smith, "Going Against the Grain."  She has
three programs, wheat free, gluten free, and grain free.  You should read
this book.  She has a number of arguments against grain-eating.  Quickly,
(Why did you wait until almost time to get on your plane to ask this
question???  LOL.) she mentions opioids in grains as mood altering,
allergies, carbohydrate sensitivity, insulin resistance & Syndrome X, and
grains take up stomach room that could be more healthfully used for
nonstarchy vegetables.  She also mentions the fact that our early ancestors
lived very well without any grains.

She says on Page 131, "No nutritionist who has looked at the medical
literature could honestly argue that grains are more important for health
than vegetables.  (Well, maybe the only exception would be a nutritionist
who has been strongly influenced by food manufacturers!)"

I hope this helps.

Jane
Tucson, AZ USA