From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:33:49 -0700
On Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005, at 07:34 US/Pacific, Adrienne Smith wrote:

> ... I am NOT reducing saturated fat because
> doing so leaves me hungry and I simply cannot eat reasonable portions
> of
> nuts.  They taste too good to me and I can easily put down an entire
> bag so
> I avoid them.  One thing I've noticed so far to my surprise is that I
> am
> satiated on much smaller portions of protein provided I do not limit
> fat.
> I think my large portion habit is just that -- a bad habit.  For
> example,
> rather than just automatically preparing 2-3 eggs with a medium-large
> piece
> of chorizo -- I can do just fine with 1-2 eggs and a measured 1 ounce
> of
> chorizo.  Another example:  my husband and I would routinely purchase
> an
> organic chicken and split it.  Now I find I'm satiated with just a leg
> or a
> thigh or two -- provided of course I leave the skin intact or add
> other fat
> to the meal.  Last example:  I've been buying bison medalians -- each
> is 6
> oz.  There are 2 in a package so my husband and I would routinely each
> eat
> one.  Now I find that I can do just fine on half a medalian.   Also,
> from
> reading Protein Power years ago, I thought I "must" have 27-30 grams of
> protein per meal and I'm becoming convinced that this just isn't the
> case
> for a petite woman -- 5'2.5".  I'll report my results.  I'm hoping to
> shed "those last 10 pounds".  Thanks again Jim for all your inspiring
> and
> informative postings!

I can report success also on a similar sort of change. I weigh a bit
more, at 5'7", and perhaps this is why my cuts are from, say, 6 eggs to
3, or a pound of meat to 6 oz, or four pieces of chicken to two. But
yes, I am perfectly satiated, and the feeling seems to last just as
long as with the large meals. I am sleeping soundly but less long. Even
the meals where I feel I could have eaten less are smaller than
previously. I am losing fat, especially in my hips, where is where all
the remaining fat was anyway:) I am not weighing in, but will continue
in this vein and will expect somewhat of a weight change to become
apparent over a long period.

I spent my whole life afraid of overeating until I discovered Paleo,
and lost weight regardless of quantity. My experiment at this time
seems a luxury- it's unimaginable that I can "diet" without suffering.
I would have been perfectly content at the weight I had achieved, but
got curious:)

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!