From:
Libby Van Winkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 16:25:27 EST
I am interested to know more about anybody's specific experiences with diet
and improving cognitive functioning.

I have a 9 year old girl with a fairly high IQ (121) whose performance IQ (as
tested by a neuropsychologist) is 106.  She seems fairly bright, loves school,
and wants to please, so we were shocked when she had such a struggle with
school beginning in 1st grade.  She has been diagnosed with "ADHD," "mental
fatigue," and has some executive function difficulties as well as some minor
problems with things that seem similar to dyslexia (though she was not
diagnosed as having dyslexia -- for example, she confuses b's and d's, p's and
q's, digital 2's and digital 5's, etc.)  She use to have problems knowing
which end of a word to start reading from (and would sometimes start in the
middle.)  She would also have problems tracking from line to line while
reading.

Let's see - what else?  As a baby she was colicky.  Since age 6 or 7, she now
gets migraines.  As far as diet goes, until the last 6 months or so, she used
to be a VERY poor eater (did not like to eat, was very thin - she seems to be
going through a growth spurt now).  She is crazy about sweets, in particular
pure sugar things like popsicles and hard candies and such (as in "addicted.")

I would love to hear from anybody who has seen improvements in cognitive
functioning as a result of changes in diet.  Thanks!

thanks!