From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:12:59 -0500
Wally > I started this thread because of that. Intellectual honesty
requires no broad based or all-inclusive assumptions. (Never generalize :)

Hey, the assumptions are working both ways with this argument.  It was
presented by someone on this list as undeniable truth that cheese is paleo.
No need to even discuss the issue.

The argument went something like this: Man eats cheese.  Because of this,
he certainly would have eaten the stomach contents of sucklings since it's
a form of cheese.  Therefore, man eats cheese.  Talk about broad-based,
all-inclusive assumptions!  When I questioned the argument, I got your
admonition not to generalize.

If it could be shown (and it hasn't to my knowlege -- someone please
correct me if I missed it) that we ate the stomach contents of sucklings on
a regular basis and for long enough for it to be included in our natural
diet, then maybe we need to seek out lamb entrails as an alternate source
of nutrition.  But it's another step from there to say that whatever's in
the stomach sack of young mammals is the same as Monterrey Jack.  But I'll
leave that argument for another day.