From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:56:44 -0500
Debby Padilla-Hudson wrote:

>Todd, I would love to share this study with my mother,
>who is diabetic and is always debating with me about
>the healthfulness of low carb and asking for a proper
>study.
>
>Problem is, I don't I would share this study with her
>because of the poor results with lean muscle and
>homocysteine (marker for heart disease).

Wildtrout has already posted the criticism of the lean muscle loss
measurements, which should allay concerns on that score.  In addition, I
think you can find other studies that demonstrate that lowcarb diets do
not cause excessive muscle loss.  But they do cause diuresis, which is
apparently what threw off the lean tissue measurements.

>Maybe homocysteine is not a good marker for heart
>disease after all?  Perhaps bad levels of various
>things in the body raise temporarily while the body
>heals itself?

No, I think homocysteine is probably an independent risk factor for
heart disease.  I recall other research indicating somewhat elevated
homocysteine levels in people on very lowcarb diets.  I believe, for
example, that studies of the Samburu in Africa showed that they tended
to have elevated homocysteine levels.  Homocysteine, of course, is a
metabolite of the amino acid methionine, which is abundant in meats.
Folic acid and vitamins B6 and B12 are needed in abundance to keep
homocysteine levels low.  It's not especially easy to get a lot of folic
acid on a paleo diet.  It's found in liver, for example, at about 260
mcg per 100g of cooked beef liver.  The RDA for folic acid is 400 mcg,
and if you're eating enough meat to elevate homocysteine in the first
place, you'd probably want more.  In vegetables, the best sources tend
to be legumes, but they are off-limits on paleo.  Next best would be
spinach and turnip greens, at just under 200 mcg per 100g.  So if you
eat a lot of greens and/or liver each day, you might get enough to
control homocysteine.  Personally, I can't get used to the taste of
liver.  I take some dessicated liver, but I don't know if that is
sufficient.  Since going paleo, I have found that I don't digest large
quantities of leafy greens very well.  The occasional salad is fine, but
a steady intake of greens seems to irritate my gut, causing bloating,
discomfort, and other unpleasantness.  I have no idea why.  So...I
supplement with one of the commercially available anti-homocysteine
products.  That's not a paleo solution, I know, but I am simply
unwilling to stuff myself with liver and greens every day.

>I've seen cholesterol raise early on in LC diets which
>some people think is a healing reaction - cholesterol
>being used to repair the body.  Perhaps it's the same
>with homocysteine?

I don't think so.  Liberal intake of saturated fat tends to raise LDL
cholesterol by a well-known mechanism, which is the downregulation of
LDL receptors in the liver.  Although many people see LDL go down when
they follow a lowcarb diet, not all do.  I think this is because there
are two independent mechanisms at work: the rate of LDL reuptake by the
liver, which is affected by saturated fat; and the rate of LDL
production, which is affected by insulin.  A lowcarb diet that includes
a liberal amount of saturated fat would tend to lower both reuptake and
production, but not necessarily by the same amount.  There are probably
large individual differences here, so some will see a net decline in
LDL, while others will see a net increase.  Moreover, 8 weeks isn't
enough time to draw any firm conclusions--although to see an increase in
HDL in so short a time is certainly striking.  HDL is one of those
numbers that's usually pretty hard to budge.

Todd Moody