From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:22:31 -0500
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:08:18 +0300, Phosphor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Not far away here we have a celtic oppidum (capital city)...
>>.. For the 200 years the oppidum existed, with a moderate
>>population
>> count and the maximum assumtion of meat, it comes to about 6% of calories
>> from the meat.
>
>do you have Net references for this?

Since Celtic Manching is now on area of German tongue, I'm afraid you'll
have to look at publications in german.
If you're interested I'll post the ISBN of the above computation.

>what legumes did the Celts cultivate?

Celtic legumes are lentils.

You can search for +manching +oppidum to get some results.
The celtic name of Manching is not known (as opposed to Bibracte or
Alkimoennis which were mentioned by some authors).
It was 380 ha big (7km long wall).

Something about celtic eating you can find at
http://www.altmuehlnet.baynet.de/gemeinden/boehmfeld/dorf/kelten/k-bauern.ht
m   (the url should end with  .htm)
In german, but with some nice pictures.

>harsher areas such as Siberia? Norway? Iceland? Highlands? how did these
>peoples manage to live without grains and tubers?

Northern areas like you mention can life on meat because the animals in this
regions are much fattier. Mostly rely also on marine resources.

Amadeus