From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:20:54 +0000
On Jan 21, 2006, at 3:25 am, michael raiti wrote:

> Mike:
> The times that I have not ate until dinner, I have
> found that the following day my energy was low.  In
> asking you about your transition I am interested in
> knowing about your experience dealing with this, if
> you experienced it.  How long should someone expect it
> to take the body to adjust to only getting food once a
> day?

Mike

I don't know if my experience is any use to you.  This week I have
trained twice without eating before hand.  First on Thursday, at 6pm
after about an 18-20 hour fast.  Second was today at 1pm, after about
15 hours' fasting.  This is my personal martial arts training which
is mainly muscular work, almost no CV.  Both times I felt fine before
and after.  I had a brief hunger pang before I started, but I didn't
get hungry afterwards until about 4.30pm.  I think it may be partly
mental- if you get slightly hungry, it's tempting to think that you
must eat immediately or you'll waste away in a few short minutes.
This is the conditioning we all get that you must be eating from the
minute you wake up until the minute you go to sleep, and took me a
while to break.

Unfortunately I can't say how long it takes the body to adjust to
this, because in the time I've been doing this (about 10 months) my
body has been recovering from the previous 20 years of bad diet.  But
I shouldn't think it would be long, especially if you are in ketosis
as then you are just switching from dietary fat to stored fat.  I
wouldn't fancy a once-a-day diet if I was eating primarily starch.

Ashley