From:
Paleo Babe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:15:31 -0500
Hey gang -- I haven't been able to keep up with the list lately due to work
and the unfortunate self-destruction of my Outlook program. How've you all
been?

Thought you might be interested in an account of my recent outing to the
Insect Tasting Event at the local Insectarium.

Here's some info on the event (click on the 'Insect Tastings' link for more
detailed info):

http://www.ville.montreal.qc.ca/insectarium/eng/html/menu.htm

And here's the menu with my review of each course:

Insect Tastings 2001; Tasty treats, African style
La Réunion savouries
Rougail (spicy sauce) garnished with preserved Galleria or silkworm
chrysalises

****The sauce was quite tasty, and the chrysalises were crunchy, with a very
delicate flavour. Only got about 6 of them, and each one was an inch or
under.

Tunisian mealworms
Toasted pita bread bites, dipped in hummus and garnished with mealworms

***I only got a few mealworms (about 1 inch each) on my piece, not really
enough to taste. The hummus was OK, though it's not something I'm crazy
about.

Madagascar morsels
Spicy grilled scorpions or stick insects

***We got the scorpions. These were our definite favourite of all the
dishes. Each scorpion was maybe two inches long. I was expecting something
like soft-shell crab, but was surprised. The outer shell was crispy crunchy,
the inside was juicy and tasty.

I'd serve these at a paleo dinner party.

Leaping locusts!
Spicy fried locusts (or crickets)

***We got the crickets. They were crispy, with an interesting texture, but
could have definitely used some garlic.

Masonja
Fried mopane worms with traditional seasonings - a delicacy from southern
Africa

***While these were not as gross as someone had forewarned me, they were
definitely the low point of the tasting. Apparently these really are a big
deal in Africa. They had displays of packaged insect food from other
countries, including cans of mopane worms in chili sauce.

Ours were not served in sauce, they were fried and seemed to be overcooked.
They're also big -- about the size of my little finger. They definitely
needed the help of the sauce we had left over from the silkworms. They were
crunchy on the outside with an odd, slightly chewy texture on the inside.

Ant macaroons
Coconut and ant macaroons

***These were also really good. Coconut clusters, studded with black ants.
We went back for seconds, and my friend Lisa bought a package to put in her
son's lunch.

Cricket basbousa
Couscous and honey cake garnished with crickets

***This was OK, but very sweet, almost like a baklava, with a couple of
crunchy crickets on top.

Ant nectar (Friday evenings only)
A refreshing drink made from orange juice, bananas, honey and ants

***I went on Sunday afternoon, so unfortunately had to miss this one.

I'm definitely planning on attending this next year, and they are thinking
of offering 'bug snacks' all year round.

Irene