From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:46:31 -0500
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, alexs wrote:

> >When I was born (1953) I turned out to be completely allergic to
> >my mother's breast milk, and to cow's milk as well.
>
> Oh really? Sez some pro-formula pediatrician and maybe
> a typically cowed, yes-doctor '50s housewife?

Possibly so.  This wouldn't, however, apply to my father, who was
born before the pro-formula period.

> What were
> the symptoms? What was your mother eating when trying
> to nurse you? Lots of grain and dairy? Maybe too much
> of the classic gassy veges and fruits?

The classic gassy veges and fruits?  I have no clue, but it's
likely that she was indeed consuming lots of grain and dairy.

> I say it's logically and physically impossible for
> an infant to be allergic to its own mother's milk.
> Too much depends on the mother's diet: unsuitable
> maternal diet leads to big problems for the infant.

You've just contradicted yourself.  If so much depends on the
mother's diet then it *is* possible for an infant to be allergic
to its own mother's milk.  If it were logically impossible then
it certainly wouldn't depend on dietary factors.

In any case, I have no clue whether an allergy to mother's milk,
independent of her diet, ever happens.  I can't think of any
reason to suppose it's impossible, however.  Strange things
happen.  When my son was born, my wife never lactated at all.

Todd Moody