From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:05:28 -1000
Amadeus:
>Last time I saw fresh marrow (form a surgery video) it appeared
>very liquid-containing to me.

Interestingly, my butcher claims that soft marrow is a sign of stress since
he only sees it during a drought. Here in Hawaii cattle usually have very
favorable pasture and the marrow is like a very hard cheese but perhaps
more crumbly. In coastal (desert) Peru I found much more soft
marrow--indeed I preferred it as it was like room temperature butter.

>Of course nutrition lists may show differing results.
>Maybe fat animals or animals different from cattle have more fat in
>the marrow,
>maybe that one item is erraneous.
>So what.

So it can be corrected when it is in obvious error. That's all.

>Marrow and brain *are* significant fat sources in paleolithic times.
> (see Cordain at: Total body fat content of wild ungulates at:
>http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9803&L=paleodiet&P=R123
>  )
> 1.4% fat is not too much.

I agree. You seem to feel plant sources are best though...

>Kirt, the USDA Database did and does list human milk with a
>DHA and EPA content of 0.000 - not unknown or unlisted.

It sounds like it is in error.

>Which other database lists the lipid profile of food items?

Baby formula companies are trying to figure out how to add EPA/DHA to
formulas since, according to the article I read, breast milk is "chock
full" of it. Probably an exageration, but relative to none in formula I
guess...;)

I think the http://www.beyondveg.com site will have some analysis of this
available when it opend in full.

>Maybe there are different results, or mothers eating brains
>have EPA in their milk...

I suspect very few western mothers eat either brains or marrow. Which
leaves the probability that, especially under lactation and probably
pregnancy, human females are quite adept at "synthesizing" EPA and DHA.
Otherwise where could it come from in lactating women with a
EPA/DHA-deficient diet--which would be most of them I'd guess.

>At last, just to please Mary, i found a Cordain article
>mentioning a *very* high fat in marrow:
>the lipid content of  wild animal marrow (a food commonly used by
>preagricultural man) is generally quite high in total fat percent
>
>(~90%
>or >), it contains the lowest saturated fat content (20%) of four
>tissues we have studied (brain, marrow, white adipose tissue and

Yeah, that's more like it. But it confuses me about the saturated fat
percent: I thought saturated fats were hard and lots of bone marrow is
hard. I suspect there is great variability in fat composition in marrow
from different animals, or even the same animal at different times.

Whatever, it tastes great to me. ;)

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft