From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:32:46 -0500
Don wrote:
> Well, salt isn't paleo. But macadamia butter eaten right out of the
> jar is divine.

Ardeith writes:
I've wondered about this long enough.......why isn't
salt Paleo.....perhaps not the salt Morton's sells....
has additives, unless you buy Kosher......but salt
has always been needed and sought out by most
mammals.  Humans living near the sea had little
trouble scraping dried salt spray off rocks.   And
many tribes in the Sahara area cut, hauled, and
traded salt blocks from the old dried sea bed
there.    Salt is also found inside some mountains,
but might have been harder for folks to get to.
But why say salt is not Paleo?

Another question....why all the recommendations
for deep-ocean, cold water, fish oils.   These could
hardly have been Paleo......our paleolithic ancestors
couldn't have acquired them except as dead fish
floating to shore.

Years ago, I read a report by some anthropologists
who offered "treats" to children in different climates
and cultures around the world.   The children in
the coldest climates grabbed up the fat treats first...
and only then tasted the salty or sweet ones......
The children in the hottest climates grabbed the
salty treats first........and children in moderate climates
might like all of them.   Does this say anything
valid about our dietary needs and the climate we
live in?  Fats for energy and warmth in the cold;
salts to replace those sweated out in the heat?

Your thoughts?

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.