From:
CCaturia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:31:14 -0800
Hey all!

I remember last week or so, when all the bruhaha was
going on about "to drink milk, or not to drink milk"
someone made a comment about H/G's possibly drinking
the milk out of a dead cow. And I think I remember
someone saying something about eating the milk
contents out of the calves stomach (like cheese). I
don't remember who it was who said that but it doesn't
matter.

Anyway....

Today I started to read a book called "The Last
Captive." It's a true account of a white boy who was
captured by an Apache band in 1870 and who lived with
the tribe for the next 8 years. At this time, the
Apaches were still living a H/G lifestyle as they had
not yet been forced onto reservations or acculturated.

I was surprised to read where Herman Lehmann, (the
captive) told of how when he was first captured, his
captors came upon a calf and one of the men took a
knife and killed it, cut open it's gut and with great
relish, began to devour the soured milk inside it's
stomach! He offered some to the young man, who
declined but was forced to eat some anyway by his
captor. He described it as a very unpleasant
experience.

So perhaps this was something that some H/G did on
occassion, when the opportunity availed itself.

Just thought I'd pass this on, for whatever it is
worth.

Cindy