From:
Alex Shvartsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:16:06 EST
Beef tripe is common in Italian and Russian cooking.

Russian version (the way my Mom makes) : wash tripe, cut in 1 1/2 "cubes.
place in a pot without oil. Cook to let out water (15 min). drain water. Add
olive oil, lots of onions and garlic salt, pepper to taste.  High heat, saute
on high to brown, then simmer for about 2 hours. The onions cook down to a
brown sauce.  I grew up with the taste and love it, but my wife nearly threw
me out of the house when I made it at home. It has a particular smell.  May
be unfamiliar if you did not grow up with it.

The Italian version involves red sauce s and the recipe is cut into thin
strips about 1/4 inch thick and 1 1/2 inch long.  Once, I just dumped  a
large can of crushed tomatoes to the above recipe. Not bad.

Tripe was always a treat at my house. You have to cook it a long time so it
becomes tender

Hope this helps, Alex