From:
"B.Lischer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 00:33:18 -0500
Rainah wrote:

  "I'm running into some problems and I need some guidence...1st have any
of yo ever read Hulda Regrhr Clarks "The Cure For All Diseases"?  In
this book she, well she scares the hell out of you, there is parasites
in all meats, aflatoxins on just about everything(fruits and nuts
especially) Toxins in this and toxins in that.  I am so freaked ot I
don't know what to do........"

     One group of people who tend to emphasize the fact that ordinary foods
contain toxins are those who advocate man-made pesticide use on crops.  They
say that food plants contain natural pesticides and other toxins which can
be, like man-made pesticides, toxic to humans and carcinogenic in lab
rodents.  They also point to the fact that crops developed for use without
industrial pesticides are sometimes selected for their natural pesticide
levels, which can be many times greater than industrial chemical residues
found in conventional crops.  Therefore, they say, the small amounts of
man-made toxins found in conventional crops are no more harmful than the
large amounts of natural toxins found in some organic varieties.

     The "paleo-logic" counter argument to this line of thought pertains to
your concern, and furthers what David White wrote in his last posting (if
humans were so sensitive to these things [natural toxins], how would we have
come to dominate the earth).  The simple truth is that man-made pesticides
have been part of the human diet for less than 100 years, whereas natural
pesticides (like toxins found in fruit and nuts) have been a part of the
human diet for millions of years.  In evolutionary terms, 100 years is not
even the blink of an eye, so it stands to reason that we are ill equipped to
handle the man-made toxins.  On the other hand,  despite the apparently
similar toxicity of chemicals found in certain organic crops, the human body
is most likely well equipped to defend itself against them.  I'll bet that
in most cases, the development of pest resistant plants simply brings the
level of natural toxins nearer to were they were, thousands of years ago,
before humans intervened in the first place (by creating crops that depend
on farmers for pest control).  Sorry if this seems tangential.... I just
thought it might be interesting, and wanted to touch upon the idea that if
our pre-historic ancestors thrived on it, so can you.  The real things to
worry about are those that our ancestors never came across.

Best wishes,
Bernard Lischer