From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:45:39 -0700
> From:    Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
> That is what that list is for. Also I list many
> groups on my
> www.foraging.com page. Where are you?

Southern Idaho.

> There are many books you can buy. Some books focus
> on certain parts of the
> country. You can ask on that list for ones for where
> you live. The best for
> the NYC area is Steve Brill's, which I link to in
> the first entry on my
> www.foraging.com page. Another is the Peterson Field
> Guides _Edible Wild
> Plants - Eastern/Central North America_.

Yes, but I'm also interested in a guide that would
include domestic plants. I have some run-of-the-mill
gardening books, but they don't generally address
which parts of which domestic plants are/aren't
edible. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place - perhaps
one of those big, fat cookbooks would be more
informative.

The reason I ask is because I've been experimenting
with the "edible landscape" concept. So far it's been
somewhat successful, but next year I'd like to plan
for some more effective plantings. This year I
"harvested" a bunch of really tasty radishes, but as I
tossed the leaves of the plants into the compost pile
it occured to me that if these were also edible, I
could effectively increase my "yield". However, at the
time I had no idea how to check the radish leaf
"edibility index".

Next year I'd like to plant more crops that can be
more completely used. Melons and squashes have
wonderfully large leaves, as do sunflowers (boy, have
I got a crop of those this year :). Can any of those
be used as salad greens, I wonder?

> From:    JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]>
> Anchell, low-pyruvate diet, or is this it?

You know, I did a little reading about pyruvate, and
most of what I encountered were the studies about
*adding* pyruvate to the diet to promote weight-loss.
Which, of course, contradicts Anchell's theories. Got
me to thinking - is it possible that either an excess
or lack of pyruvate contributes to fat storage? Could
it be that the "key", in this case, is to somehow
stabilize pyruvate at a given level? Perhaps the women
in the studies started with low levels of pyruvate and
the supplementation stabilized the levels in the
bloodstream. This could also explain the 'X' percent
who did not lose weight - the implication being that
their pyruvate levels were already too high.

Anyway, just a thought.

> From:    Ingrid Bauer/J-C Catry
> yes all part of radilshes are edible

Thanks for the info, Jean-Claude.

> > From:    Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
> > That's a serious question: don't you feel *tired*
> (in your healthy bodies)
> > after devouring a beast teared to bits? Maybe if
> raw or if cooked?
> >
> > I personally encounter (a little) tiredness only
> after eating really much of
> > cooked food, but never from raw.

Interestingly enough, I generally feel energized after
eating meat, whether cooked ot not. The same holds
true of most fruits and low-carb veggies. The foods
that sap my energy are the high carb, high fiber
veggies (and grains, of course).