From:
Wally Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:13:11 -0500
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:27:45 -0800 Wally Day <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> 5. As you say, this is a silly argument. I'm done.

But I'll bet he's not...

Note that he never really answered my challenge to postulate an ACTUAL
vegetarian (or near vegetarian) diet that paleo man or prehuman could
have eaten.  He goes as far as admitting that they were not entirely
vegetarian, but then he also tries to imply that they could not possibly
have survived on the wide variety of animal foods that would have been
available year 'round.  It's easy for him to muddy the issue by stating
that it's possible to get all the "essential" amino acids from vegetable
sources, and ignore the fact that grains and legumes were virtually
unavailable.  Further, such veggie sources that WERE available would have
been of a wide variety, but it would seem unlikely that there would often
have been a sufficient smorgasbord at most times and in most places to
make a vegetarian diet remotely possible for more than very brief periods
(if at all).

OTOH, despite all his comments about "protein toxicity," and unassailable
megafauna, it's pretty easy to come up with a reasonable diet rich in
animal foods ranging from grubs, worms, insects, fish and other aquatic
critters, all the way up to small and medium sized birds, mammals, and
reptiles, plus of course, a nice assortment of paleo fruits, nuts, and
veggies as "side dishes..."

We'd just better hope that if Amadeus and I ever meet, he doesn't tell me
that he hasn't had a bite for days, or I'll be forced to demonstrate just
what hominid dentition (even my "tame" version) was meant for...  :-)

(explanation below for those who need it...)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

A funny thing happened on my way to the theater tonight.  A bum came up
to me and said he hadn't had a bite for days... so I bit him...

Henny Youngman, comedian, 1906-1998

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.