From:
Tom and Anne Donlon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:10:41 -0400
Adam, I hope you didn't think I was calling you anti-religious. I don't know
you.  I simply said that I've seen more than one anti-religious remark.

My take on Christianity is this: Jesus said the two most important things
are: love G-d and love your neighbor as yourself. Corinthians 13 has been
overdone and humdrummed to death at weddings, but it is a good exposition on
love. I believe that's a pretty darn good way to live, and I try to remember
it. I fail quite - too - often, but I try.

I used to get into apologetics and debate, but too often that sort of thing
devolves into a completely petty waste of time. Intolerant fundies of every
stripe abound - religious and not. That has been my experience in church and
in science, in politics and...well, you get my point. It has been my
observation that in a discussion the person who thinks they have the most
answers often has the least worth listening to. Especially if they request
or demand silence from others. (Of course, then I have to be careful not to
judge the judgmental and find myself being a judgmental hypocrite! LOL)

I'm not sure I see why you would consider someone an enemy (or maybe that's
a stronger word to me than to you?) because you don't agree with the way
they choose to view spiritual matters. But of course I totally agree that
you have every right to say about that person, "Let him be anathema!"

I prefer a Rodneykingish approach to life. And as I said, I only joined the
discussion because it was about food and agriculture. I wasn't suggesting
that anyone else should see the texts in any particular light (which is why
I asked questions) and I wasn't feeling particularly religious or, to use
your word, dogmatic about it myself.

We could have had a similar discussion about Goldilocks and the Three Bears
for all I care. "Now, would the porridge act the same in a human body if it
was too hot, too cold or just right?"

Does a bear eat porridge in the woods?  :)

Peace, and good night,

Anne