From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:50:57 -0400
Mary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>However, it is about 1.69 per pound here at the Asian market, but does have
>rind and is not sliced.

That is what that costs me at the Asian market. Mine usually also had
bones, though at times they would find me some without.

>What do you put on it to make it more palatable? It is pretty tasteless.

Always eggs. Also sometimes pepper, defrosted fruit frozen the summer
before, and/or nuts ground up in my Krups coffee grinder that someone once
gave me as a house warming present. Not drinking coffee it had never been
used for that.

>I am dying to find some smoked pork, uncured, that has no sugar. The salt I
>can live with, but not the sugar. I would prefer low sodium of course if
>possible.

As mentioned before one does exist with 190 mg of sodium per slice. Very
high! I suggest you get a smoker and smoke some yourself. Then get a Polder
thermometer to make timing easier. The Fall Cabela's catalog has a bunch of
smokers. See my FAQ at:

  http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/list/kitequip.txt

>BTW, am reading STONE AGE DIET from Ray and it will convince you yet again
>about the paleo diet.

I believe it mostly is focused on inflamatory bowel diseases. Doesn't he
allow a small amount of dairy?

>ps The health food store brand has "spices" added which turned out to be
>"gluten" added! Yuck, I got the gluten reaction, then knew, too late, that
>it had gluten in it. Darn it!

What brand?

Don.