From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 20:05:08 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:
Now I won't claim that this is representative Adrienne, but the very
first site that popped up on the search you recommended got me this
(said just the opposite regarding
stroke!):http://vitalpathhealthcentre.com/eskimos.htm
Of course it would -- they sell fish oil at that site.  Anyway, there are
different kinds of strokes.  Thrombotic strokes for instance involve cerelbral
clots.  Hemorrhagic strokes involve bleeding in the brain.  There are studies
showing Eskimos have higher rates of hemorrhagic strokes which are much less
common than the other kind.  This makes sense because fish oil is a blood
thinner.  If you overdo a blood thinner -- you could get unwanted bleeding.  It's why
before surgery the doctor will ask you to stop vitamin E, fish oil and other
blood thinners for a period of time before the operation.

I believe that Omega-3s are useful to some extent or I wouldn't eat sardines
every day.  However, I still remain convinced that massive doses of fish oil
supplements ultimately create more harm than good. Gobbling capsules is always
a far cry from eating real food.  You obviously feel that fish oil is useful
and that's your perogative.  In any event, I really don't see the point in
harping on this topic any further.  Let's just agree to disagree.