From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:38:09 -0500
liesel <[log in to unmask]> asked a couple weeks ago:

>i have a few questions about making the beef jerkey for pemmican:
>
>at what settings do you operate an electric dehydrator?

Depends on the time of year. In winter, when it is dry in my centrally
heated house, I use 115F. In summer I use 125F. I dry for many hours,
sometimes 30. You want it to be VERY dry (but not cooked). It should be
easy to break into pieces 1" in size.

>or is some other (more paleo) drying method just as well?

Not for quantity. I can slice up a 13# round of bison and fit it all with
ease in my Excalibur.

>(re. the meat should be raw, not cooked?)

Yes, raw. Just slice and dry.

>how do you get it to grind up to a fine powder?
>(i've been told by a friend that grinding it in a food processor did not
>work for her.)

It is a bit hard for a food processor. I use a KitchenAide blender that has
five speeds. One is chop. You do need to first break the jerky up into 1"
pieces. Then batches of it "chop" nicely.

>any experiences shared would be great!

Some threads I started:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A1=ind0104&L=paleorecipe#4
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A1=ind0105&L=paleofood#69
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A1=ind0108&L=paleorecipe#3

I also had pictures at PhotoPoint, but that site has disappeared.

Don.