From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 23:12:28 -0800
At 03:22 PM 03/18/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, David Lewandowski wrote:
>
>>         Todd you should consider training less frequently but with greater
>> intensity to stimulate further muscle gains.
>
>I currently train twice per week, at the maximum intensity that I
>am capable of.  That's two whole-body workouts, 2 sets of each
>exercise.  The first set is about 10 reps to failure.  I then
>increase the weight, wait for about a minute, and do as many more
>reps as possible -- usually three or four.
>
>This isn't intense enough?

        It might be too much in a given workout.

>  At 183 lbs. of LBM on a 6'1" frame,
>how much LBM do you think I should be carrying?

        It doesn't matter what I think your LBM should be.

>Last spring and summer I trained 4 times per week, using split
>workouts.  Whatever I do, my LBM hovers between 180 and 185.
>Before I started strength training, it was between 165 and 170.
>
>By experimentation, I find that I only need one high-intensity
>workout per week to maintain this LBM.  Anything beyond that
>appears to me at this time to be wasted time.

        I was simply suggesting that perhaps you train too often. It has been my
experience that more than one weight workout a week is too much for most. I
recommend that a person train no more than once a week and when gains begin
to slow or stagnate they take 2 weeks off and resume training at an every
10 days frequency. I even train only once every 2 weeks when training
particularly heavy. And I don't mean I train a body part that often, I mean
that I train then take 2 weeks off before weight training again. I find few
that can train hard and make gains at more than once every 6 days frequency.

>> Muscle burns significant
>> calories at rest. The more you have the more calories you burn even while
>> sleeping.
>
>I know.  That's why I did all this training.  Now that I have all
>that muscle, I am interested in maximizing its fat-burning
>potential, rather than killing myself to add one more pound of
>LBM.
>
>Todd Moody

        I was suggesting that you take more time off between workouts. This would
be easier on you not harder. I would also not recommend that anyone do any
more than one set of exercise.
        If you are not making the progress you desire maybe you should try
something different?

Dave