From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:27:05 -0800
On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:29:50 -0500, Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Differing opinions of flaxseed oil -- it's oxidizing properties could make it harmful. But then again, it's omega 3 content can help the body a lot, esp. to offset the omega 6 from lots of nuts.
>
>I take it about 2 - 3 times per week (about 1 tblspoon or perhaps 10 - 12 grams) with vitamin E.
>
>Do you take it? What is your opinion about it? Hazard or beneficial?

Well first off, it is not "paleo" according to the generally accepted standards.

Second, fish oil is a much better source of Omega-3 fatty acids, since the ones
in fish oil have already undergone the conversion that flax oil have to undergo
in your body - a conversion that may or may not occur reliably.   And the enzyme
that accomplishes that conversion is then not as available for other important
fatty acid conversions.  (This is as clear as I can make this in two sentences.)

Either eat cold-water fish (such as tuna, salmon, mackerel, sardines, among
others) or take fish oil capsules (I prefer Twinlab's Dale Alexander brand for
value per dollar).

--
Cheers,

Ken