From:
Persephone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:31:10 +0100
Singermuse wrote:

>From what I've heard the rabbits raised today as pets, were originally the
same as raised for food.
>The difference of course would be the diet fed the domesticated ones
(mostly alfalfa, grain, etc...)
>would have an effect on the nutrient/mineral density of said critter.

That makes sense. When I think about it further, I imagine that the more
sedentary life of hutch rabbits would make quite a difference to the
lean/fat ratio too.
Presumably it's the same as the difference between all wild game and their
domesticated cousins.

>I buy locally grown rabbits for a delicious stew (paleo stew-no potatoes)
>I have found that rabbit meats tastes and has the consistency of chicken
thighs...not quite "white meat" not quite red meat.

There's an endless supply of wild rabbits here which the butchers stock. I
agree with you about the taste. The best rabbit stew I had was one cooked
slowly in something resembling a witch's cauldron over a big fire in an old
stone cottage.

I'm glad you sent the recipe. It reminded me that arrowroot is a starch that
can be used for thickening in paleo recipes (I've yet to get around to the
recipes section on the list). Now I can enjoy thick gravies again <g>

Cheers,

Persephone

The world has different owners at sunrise ... Even your own garden does not
belong to you. Rabbits and blackbirds have the lawns; a tortoise-shell cat
who never appears in daytime patrols the brick walls, and a golden-tailed
pheasant glints his way through the iris spears.

- Anne Morrow Lindbergh