From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:20:01 -0500
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Paul Sand wrote:

> Can overconsumption of protein lead to diabetes?

I doubt it, but I don't have any actual data.

> If we assume that 58% of excess protein turns into glucose theoretically it
> can mean excess glucose, excess insulin and so on.

But there is a ceiling to how much protein we can tolerate.  For
most of us, that ceiling is about 300g/day.  Of that, suppose
that 50g/day are used, leaving 250g for energy.  58% of that
would be 145g of glucose, which in itself is unlikely to cause
insulin problems.

> From the other hand I read somewhere (but I doubt it) that glucose made from
> protein is more 'friendly' than glucose from complex carbs.

This may be because the conversion is fairly slow, so there is no
sudden surge.

Todd Moody