From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:10:42 MST
You wrote:

>Dori, Justin and others, I would love to hear your comments.

Wow, thanks for the compliment!  I must say, one of the first things I
noticed is that on paleo I need less sleep.  So I'm not sure eight hours is
the right amount for all.  I got about six hours last night and I feel fit
as a proverbial fiddle.  In my experience, sleep and depression were like
evil twins; I didn't want to get out of bed so I slept and slept and slept
some more, which made me even more depressed.  Talk about a downward spiral.

I will say this, though.  Insufficient sleep is hell on earth!  That, and
trying to get out of bed at an ungodly hour.  I look back at my days as a
morning news achorette (Rush Limbaugh's term, not my own) and I
honest-to-God don't know how I did it!  Typical day:  up at 4, in at 5, on
air 'til 9, then do stories in-house til 1, go home and crash, go out and
cover the county board of supervisors, get home at 11 and start all over
again.  I remember feeling as if I were literally running on fumes, an
almost shaky feeling of weakness, yet ready to snap like a rubber band.
Imagine sustained fight-or-flight.  It was scary, that feeling that I might
explode at any moment.  Also note; this is the time my seizures began,
leading to the discovery of a brain tumor.  You have to wonder if that
schedule didn't have something to do with the onset of seizures.  The tumor
was removed and seizures eliminated, by the way.

I'm convinced that the combination of standard clinical depression and my
horrific schedule are what pushed me over the edge.  While I have no desire
to do it again, I'm pretty sure I could bear an early morning schedule since
changing my diet.  I could NOT, however, bear the pathetic salary of $15K
annually!  What was I thinking?

Dori Zook
Denver, CO