From:
Heathen Girl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 20:57:32 0000
I was looking around a web site and found some protein powder that had this substance in it. Since I did not know what the substance was I looked a bit to see what I could find. The blurb I found is below. Does anyone have anything to add about this or weather it would be a good or bad thing to have? You can never tell when you look things up on the web....

On a side note this says it may be good for urinary tract infections (for the thread thats been going on that).

Melissa

Bromelain

What does it do? Bromelain is a type of proteolytic enzyme, which means that it is capable of digesting protein. Bromelain is an anti-inflammatory agent, and for this reason is helpful in healing minor injuries, particularly sprains and strains, muscle injuries, and the pain, swelling, and tenderness that accompany sports injuries.1 2 3

Bromelain, in combination with another enzyme called trypsin, may alleviate symptoms of urinary tract infection. One double-blind study reported that reduction of symptoms was excellent in 22% and good in 78% of the subjects which means that every patient in this study had at least good results after taking this nutrient.4

Bromelain is a natural blood thinner because it prevents excessive blood platelet stickiness.5 This may explain, in part, the positive reports in a few clinical trials of bromelain to decrease thrombophlebitis and pain from angina and thrombophlebitis.6 7 In addition, bromelain reduces the thickness of mucus, which may benefit patients with asthma or chronic bronchitis.8