From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:56:21 +0200
Todd Moody wrote:

> The reason is that cells in the gut lining are also ABO type.
> ABO is not a "pure" blood type.  Thus, if a lectin agglutinates
> blood cells of a certain type, it will agglutinate cells in that
> creatures gut lining too.

Ok, gut cells show AB0-markers too. Can they be agglutinated? They are
in a lining. Of course they could be attacked in some way, probably
decreasing the permeability of the lining. If the IgA defense doesn't
work (gut lining is protected by IgA against lectins).

I think it's also important that gut cells are rather short-lived. They
life only for 4 days anyway. I think therefore the effects of an attack
should be lesser.

If gut cells die they can simply leave the body the natural way - out
the usual way. Inside the bloodstream it would probably be much worse.
Imune defense, particularly macrophages must take care of any alien stuff.

> There is research to back D'Adamo's
> claim that lectins *do* get into the bloodstream.

Then the question is in which extent. And which *kind* of lectin
molecules. For example I'd think that very long lectins will pass less
easy than smaller ones.
I think it would only be valid to test lectin effects *after* passing
the gut wall (as far as they pass).
If lectin effects were really serious then it should be possible to
measure it's effects in the blood. Simply after a meal.
Maybe the usual tiredness after a meal ("soup coma") has something to do
with it.

Maybe lectins increase the (general) permeability of the lining.
That would be a real severe topic.

Cheers

Amadeus