Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:47:46 -0700
After reading this recipe from the Paleo Diet I pose a
question?

Sometimes I put some fruit into the  Vita-Mix  (This is a
blender that will grind up frozen fruit!)    and puree it,
then add some water or not.   I drink some and put some into
the fridge.   Later the refrigerated portion has jelled.
It does not seem to spoil in a day or two.   However the
same fruit spoils very quickly if even bruised a little.  Or
Raspberries and others will mold overnight;  But included in
a mix,  I have never pureed a single fruit it tastes fine a
day or two later,  while the berries would taste spoiled.

Is it a mix of fruits?  That keeps it from spoiling?
Remember this is not cooked.

Is it the puree process-  the mixer is powerful.

I  may have used the same ingredients as in the recipe
below,at times, but never add juice always just fruit.

Sometimes I buy a box of Peaches when they are at the summer
low price,  bring them home and let them ripen to
perfection - then freeze them.   That way we have perfectly
ripe peaches in the winter.   Yes there are sugar free
frozen peaches in the market,  but they did not let them get
very ripe.   In my foraging childhood I only ate superbly
ripe fruit.    Now I live in the high cool desert of Wyoming
and love the super clean air,  the hunting and fishing (we
eat plankton fed trout and salmon all summer)  but except
for September when a few farm marketers come to town our
fruit comes from one of three markets.

Below is the entry that caused my question?

Fruit
Cantaloupe Soup with Blueberries
--------------------------------
1 ripe peach, peeled, pitted and diced
1 cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and diced
1 cup apple juice
juice of 1 lemon
for garnish, fresh mint leaves and fresh blueberries

Place peach and cantaloupe in a soup pot with apple juice.
Cook over med.
heat, covered, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer
to a food
processor and puree until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, pour
into a bowl and
cover. Chill thoroughly before serving, about 2 hours. Serve
garnished with
fresh blueberries and mint leaves. Makes 4 servings.
Adapted from: _Cooking the Whole Foods Way_ by Christina
Pirello.