From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:41:37 -0400
I happen to be a huge fan of Thai food, so this is not a problem for me.
Many traditional Thai recipies can be paleo-ized easily. For example,
two nights ago I made a beef panang curry. The curry paste I bought from
a local Korean grocer/importer, although it is not difficult to make
your own. The ingredients on the label of the curry paste are: dried red
chili, lemon grass, shallot, salt, garlic, galangal, mungbean, shrimp
paste, kafir lime peel, coriander seed, cumin, and pepper. The paste is
fried in a couple tablespoons of coconut oil. Then I brown about a pound
of beef in that. Then I add coconut milk (Which contains more coconut
oil), some palm sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, nuts (I like to
substitute pine kernels where my recipe calls for chopped peanuts,) and
tomatoes or red bell peppers, and possibly some fresh basil if I have
any handy (I didn't the other night.)

Get your hands on a good Thai cookbook and you will find this and
perhaps dozens of other recipes where coconut oil can be used in the
traditional way it has for centuries. Vietnamese, Filipino, South
Indian, and Indonesian recipes will also serve well. Just remember that
many modern chefs will substitute vegetable oils where coconut or palm
oil are traditionally used. So, where vegetable oil is called for,
substitute coconut or palm oil ;-)

Of course there are two caveats here: First, you have to substitute for
the non-paleo ingredients as I did by replacing peanuts with palm
kernels above. Second, you have to be able to stomach a good deal of
spice without any bread or rice to dilute it in your stomach. The first
couple of times I had real, traditional Thai food without any bread or
rice it hurt me a little (Tossing and turning at night, perhaps a little
diarrhea.) But, after a while my stomach got the hang of it. You could
always reduce the amount of curry paste if this is a problem (Although
the capsicum, though it hurts at first, is actually quite good for you.)

(P.S. I am not sure how this works with a Rosedale diet, since the beef
is probably too much protein, and there is a little bit of carb in the
form of palm sugar - I wouldn't make curry without a little sugar or
honey, unless you are a real glutton for the burn. Paln sugar is not
refined and has been used in Asia for a VERY long time. Anyway, I am not
a fan of Rosedale... but perhaps I'll save that for a different post.)