From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:55:41 EST
In a message dated 11/29/01 4:01:23 PM, Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>writes:

<< Maddy Mason wrote:
> In the vast majority of cases of CD, strict adherence to a gluten free diet
will result in amelioration of symptoms and complete resolution of the
condition, including healing of damaged intestines.

This is incorrect.

     - Sheryl (UC, 20 years) >>

It is a shame that I have to waste my time and clog up list space correcting
your arrogant and blatantly wrong statement, but in the interest of
scientific correctness and to keep others properly informed, I feel compelled
to respond. This is not my own personal opinion nor speculative conjecture;
intestinal damage and the healing of same is verifiable through endoscopy and
intestinal biopsy.

From the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse website, <A
HREF="http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/celiac/">Celiac Disease</A>,
under the section Treatment, "For most people, following this diet will stop
symptoms, heal existing intestinal damage, and prevent further damage.
Improvements begin within days of starting the diet, and the small intestine
is usually completely healed- meaning the villi are intact and working- in 3
to 6 months."

From the site, A Doctor Describes Celiac Disease, <A
HREF="http://members.ozemail.com.au/~coeliac/sprue.html">A doctor describes
coeliac disease</A>, Dr. Joseph Murray, MD, PhD, one of leading US physicians
in the diagnosis and treatment of Celiac Disease, under the section, The
Standard Definition of CD, "CD is a permanent intolerance to gluten that
results in damage to the intestine and is reversible with avoidance of
dietary gluten."

You may punch in Celiac Disease into any search engine and come up with
scores of sites describing the condition, its treatment, and the consequences
if untreated, in great detail for further information. Please do your
homework.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY