From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 11:51:18 MDT
Hmmmm...

This post has nothing to do with the human diet, but we talk about
health in
general, so here goes.

So I'm watching some Olympics action here and there and much of what
these
athletes do just ain't healthy!  I'm thinking specifically of female
gymnasts and marathon runners, both of which look like death on a
stick.

I'm sure we've all heard the gymnastic tales of horror; no menstrual
cycles,
the lack of growth due to excessive exercise.  Maybe this has nothing
to do
with anything, but it seems all of their faces are all but deformed;
huge
eyes with tiny chins.  Maybe they're just so skinny thier heads don't
quite
fit on thier bodies.  Marathon runners look ready to break in two at
any
given moment.  There's no body fat whatsoever; where do they get the
fuel to
run 26 GD miles?  It looks like they're using thier muscles for fuel.
But
what do I know?  Any runners or others in the know on this issue?

Don't get me wrong; I admire someone who can break a world record or
take
home the gold.  Unless they're killing themselves in the process.
And,
frankly, it looks like some of them are.

The swimmers could well be doing harm, too.  But they look so much
healthier
than gymnasts and marathoners.  The women, especially, look good;
healthy
muscles AND fat on their frames.  Male athletes almost always look
good
(sorry, that's my ovaries talkin').

Exercise is critical for a healthy life and body.  But we weren't
designed
to kill ourselves in the name of speed and strength.  Were we?

Dori Zook
Denver, CO