From:
Lynda Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:17:51 -0800
<< The baby boom. My Mom had 5. We kids average only
1.9 each. Just like everyone else in America and the
developed world. "We" are not producing too many
people, though you might argue that our parents
did. The change took only a single generation, and
that change is happening now in almost every country
on Earth. Birthrates are falling nearly everywhere,
even in the third world. >>

I think this is true.  I too am from a family of 5
children.  My 2 sisters and I have each had 1 child.
My 2 brothers chose not to have children.  We are all
now beyond childbearing years so those numbers won't
change.

Although my mother had 5 children, her mother had 11
children, 1 of which died at birth.  Of the 10
surviving children, there were 5 girls -- 3 had no
children (one adopted a child), my mother had 5, her
younger sister had 4.  Of the 5 boys, 2 were killed in
WW II, one had no children, one had 2 children, and
one had 5.

My father is from a family of 4 boys --  One died
before he was 10 years old, one had one child, and
another had no children of his own but adopted a child

The same trend of fewer or no children can be seen
throughout our family, and I've seen it in the
families of our friends as well.

Lynda Bryson