From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 15:51:09 +0100
On 4 May 2008, at 15:36, tray.b wrote:

> There's a gluten-free booth at my flea
> market, and the owners are all morbidly obese - from eating their g-
> free
> butter tarts, brownies and baking mixes, no doubt.

Haha, there's more bad stuff in these "free from" products than the
things they are trying to replace.  When I see someone pick one up I
want to shake them and say DOES THE FACT GRAINS MAKE YOU REALLY ILL
NOT MAKE YOU THINK THIS TYPE OF FOOD IS JUST PLAIN BAD???  But I'm too
polite so I let them eat their junk

Same goes for the "healthy" snacks section of the supermarket that I
buy nothing from, which ironically is next to the "unhealthy snacks"
section where I buy roasted salted nuts and 85% chocolate :D

> Makes me sad that we've
> come to a point where these foods are considered normal, even
> essential, to
> eat. I emailed Ron after reading his book (which was a huge help to
> me when
> I went gluten-free - thank you) bc it occurred to me (based on my
> experience)that a large part of "food addiction" is likely not
> rooted in
> emotional issues, but in a real, physical addiction to grains (and
> in some
> cases dairy products as well). People's extreme reactions to my
> dietary
> restrictions (which I am thankful for, bc I was as addicted to
> starches as
> anybody) further reinforce my opinion.

Exactly my thoughts as you probably gathered.  I went away last
weekend with a friend and his girlfriend, and when I offered her a bag
of cashews (she hadn't eaten for about 3 hours so was in danger of
starvation) she turned them down.  Apparently they clog your
arteries.  On the way back we stopped at a service station so I could
use the toilet, and by the time I found them she'd ordered a Burger
King meal.  What can you do???  Much as I like to help people, when
they are that badly addicted, it's just a lost cause.

> We've got cancer on both sides of the family, mainly colon and
> stomach, and
> genetic gluten intolerance on both sides as well. I really believe
> the two
> are linked. If I ever got diagnosed with cancer (or epilepsy) I'd
> keto my
> ass off :)

No doubt colon or stomach cancer is what your doctor thinks you're
heading right towards...

Ashley