From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:13:10 -0700
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:45:41 -0700, Gale <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> One death occured near where I live from the spinach recall ( a bagged,
> "washed," ready-to-eat spinach).  In these instances, the "soil" on the
> produce was from organic fertilizers (i.e. manure) - so buying "organic"
> produce is no guarantee that you are not also getting some cow crap.

The problem with the E coli O157:H7 on organic spinach in California was
not the organic manure they put on it, but overflow waste from a nearby
feedlot.  Feedlot cattle get this bad E coli because they are fed
concentrated grains to fatten them up.  Cattle raised on grass never have
it.  In fact if the feedlots would stop with the corn and soy in the last
two weeks before slaughter, it would cut the E coli O157:H7 contamination
of feedlot cattle to almost nothing.  Of course that might cause some
trouble and cut into the profit margin.  For some reason they think it is
better to have million-dollar recalls, and sickness and death in the
public.

The reason this particular strain of E coli is so bad for humans is that
the grains and
soy cause the cow's stomach(s) to become very acidic; normally it is not.
E coli O157:H7
can easily survive our highly acidic stomach environment.  Most E coli
strains are
sensitive to acid, but not this one.

	Lynnet, on her CAFO soapbox again ;-)