From:
Beverle Sweitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 06:33:12 -0500
JoAnne:
     Thank you for replying to my inquiry about your weight.  I guess I
also wanted to know your age.  I was vegetarian for many years.  Not
vegan - eggs, cheese, dairy.  When I was young I smoked and was
painfully thin.  I hit 21 and started to gain a little.  Overreacted and
began the dieting roller coaster.  I would love to be back to the weight
I  "hated" when I was 40.  I don't do the Atkins diet anymore because of
the dairy but he did help me realize my addiction to carbohydrates - and
now I am coming to the point .  My addiction, and the resulting insulin
resistance, will never go away.  I keep it in check with the diet.
Eating no carbs keeps me from being hungry or craving, but just as with
almost any addiction, it doesn't take much to tempt me.  Yes, I get the
palpitations some times and (how do you whisper in email?) hemorrhoid
problems, but ask any good addict and they will tell you that the lure
is always there.  I get righteous and stay in line for several weeks and
then along comes a family birthday with pizza and ice cream and I get
lost.  I have a great deal of stress with my business and I am one of
those pathetic people who crave carbs when they get upset.  My Dad died
3 days after Christmas, I always have the EPA and the IRS to contend
with, plus I have 5 employees - 4 of whom are related to me.  I am also
52 years old and heavily into menopause.  I swear I am not trying to
whine my way to absolution but "stuff" happens.  The weight stays, I get
unhappy or stressed, my husband says he wants ice cream or nachos and I
figure "what the hell, what's one time?"  That is why I stay on this
list.  I need the inspiration of people like you and Nathen to
continually remind me that if I can stay 'honest' I may get back some of
my "girlish" figure.
    I am glad that you stopped smoking.  I can't be judge and jury to
anyone anymore.  I am too old and have said "never again" too many
times, but I really do believe that it is an action that will harm you.
Some people live to be 100 and still smoke but the main thing is that it
makes you ugly.  Wrinkled and yellow gray.  I would rather be 30 lbs.
overweight - it smooths my wrinkles.  I hope I haven't rambled too much,
I just kind of wanted to explain my "stupidity".    Thanks for
listening,
Beverle