From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:28:55 -0400
On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 09:54:45 -0400, Philip Thrift
wrote:

I wrote:
>>Could you point out *which* food, in your opinion, was causing the brain
>>enlargement of Lucy towards homo erectus (3-4-fold)?

Philip:
>Brains enlarged in the Homo species giving selective advantage to those
>who could more successfully hunt (requiring planning, coordination,
>and accurate throwing ability). We are stuck with this brain
>maybe for several 10's of thousands of years more (unless we mess
>with our genetic code) whether we eat meat or not. It is your choice
>how to nourish your neurons.

Philip, you forgot to mention which *food* may have caused brain
enlargement
persisting "whether we eat meat or not".
Your presumption was, that it was the challenge to hunt successfully
which
*caused* the brain enlargement.
I would assume that increased brain capacity would be of advantage for
most
actions of humans. Planning to hunt..ok. Likewise remembering
gathering
locations, water places and properties of food items.
Managing to not be eaten.. IMO most promising and with big selective
effect.

However I can't see that most successful hunters like lions and other
cats
encountered a 4-fold brain enlargement after switching to be
carnivore.
Actually i heard that skinned cats are hard to distinguish from
skinned
rabbits, when without tail.

Your "throwing" article I found well written and interesting.
I found myself thinking that the challenge of hunting in this time
would be
interesting (of course others would have to eat what i hunted ;-).

Many nerves (and sending neurons on the upper end) are of advantage
when in
skillful movements. E.g. for piano players this is what makes it
possible.

Of the article one detail did not match my experience:
Thrown hand axes should manage to injure and/or throw down a big
animal?
Maybe a little far fetched?
In my archeology study i had the opportunity to have such a real
paleo-time
hand axe in my hand.
It was... nice - patinated and all.... bit *very* small and
lightweight.
I would better not thow such a thing onto any animal which could get
angry.

Cheers,

Amadeus