From:
"M. Hoebel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 18:28:59 EDT
In a message dated 8/4/99 11:34:05 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Are dogs not susceptible to the same bacteria as humans?  I'm just a little
 concerned. >>
yes and no... Yes, they can get salmonella poisoning... but they can handle
bacteria far better than humans.  They're designed to eat raw meat... they
are 98% the same as the wolf.  In 1994,  they even changed the scientific
name of the dog from canis familiaris, to canis lupus familiaris... the wolf
being canis lupus.
There is a risk... nothing is risk free, including kibble.  Kibble is grain
based, something I'll never feed my dog again.  I do think that even a
homemade cooked diet is by far better than kibble( assuming, of couse, it's
properly balance -- following Pitcairn's diets, or someone similar ).
I've fed Morgan, my golden, raw meat( and bones ) for over 2 yrs.  For about
1 1/2 yrs did a combination of kibble and raw( was simply too afraid to go
all the way )... at the end of November( '98 ) I decided to go all the way,
and I wish I had sooner...  She's much healthier over all.
Do some research( lots of info available on the web as well as books ) and
consider going this route.  I'm very glad I did.

Take care,
Maggie