Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:47:44 -0400
JoAnn,
        A guy I worked with about three years ago developed diverticulitis.  He
had been following the Atkins diet, but without consuming enough fiber.  He
would basically eat bacon & eggs for breakfast, 20 chicken wings for lunch,
and meat and *maybe* some salad for dinner.  After a while (months) of
doing this, he was actually hospitalized with diverticulitis, which is the
inflamed, dangerous form of diverticulosis, which is a longer-term
condition.  His doctor pretty much told him that his colon was impacted
with meat and fat deposits.
        Yes, he was hospitalized for a few days and given antibiotics.  His doctor
told him to eat lots of whole grains, beans and veggies, and as a life-long
low-carb guy he was just in heaven!  He was eating black bean soup with
whole wheat bread, chinese vegetable chow-fun noodle dishes, and he was
just loving it!  And it was a diet blessed by his doctor!  Well, he
promptly put on 25 pounds --  the pounds went on so fast I could watch him
get bigger by the week and even by the day.  After about two months, he
said "f this", and he went to see Dr. Atkins at his clinic in NYC.  Atkins
put him on the basic low-carb plan, with a variation to avoid yeast.  He
also put him on tons of supplements.  This all worked well for him, of
course, but he did tend to drift off the diet.  I haven't seen him in a
while, so I don't know how he's been doing.
        I do know that he absolutely has to avoid eating nuts, since their sharp
edges can catch on the inflamed intestinal walls and really screw him up.
By the way, Atkins made him drink a large glass of water every morning,
into which he mixed psyllium husks and lecithin granules.
        Do what you think is right, but you have a medical condition that I
believe you should take seriously.  I also think your condition sends a
message to Paleo people that they should take pains to keep their fiber
level high.

Good luck.
Harris