Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:49:36 -0500
Some of my berries were seeded by birds, others I dug up from my dad's farm,
where they grow wild. I haven't been to England, but when I visited Germany
I camped in a wood that was full of the best wild raspberries I have ever
had. I imagine in the countryside, England also has wild berries. They are
pretty hard to kill.

Mine started growing wild the first year I came here, 2006. I saw them and
just started avoiding that area with the mower. Now they are so thick I
can't eat them as fast as they ripen. That will last a few weeks, then gone
till next year. But just as the raspberries finish, the blackberries start.

:--)

It takes a few years to grow enough to be able to eat a lot. My blueberries
have been in the ground since 2006 (domestic, not wild) and they still only
make a few berries. Same with the blackberries.

I also planted grapes along our border fence. They also take a few years to
start really producing. This will be the first big year, if all goes well.

In my half-acre lawn we have the berries mentioned, also two large apple
trees, a plum tree, a hickory (squirrels always get them all), and a
decent-sized garden. Some good eating.

I keep hoping the rabbits will start nesting in my yard, but for some reason
they avoid my house. Maybe they recognize that a predator lives within?