From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:16:16 -1000
Barbara,

> If I am eating cooked chicken, and then I gnaw on the soft ends of some of
> the bones, will my body be getting some useful calcium from this?

My wife and daughter do this all the time, saying that it tastes great. Both
also eat the pith from oranges. Neither has any attraction to me. Then
again, I will delight in dried fish bones and the "crunchy parts of bone
marrow" and they look at me funny. Wife can't stand gristle; daughter
devours it from her plate; I rarely notice it. Calcium? Who knows, but if
the flavor/experience is attractive to you, it probably is on track.

> I know it's possible to extract the calcium from bones by making bone
> broths, but I was wondering about getting it in a more direct fashion when
> that's convenient.

I know people who have eaten entire chicken bones, even eggshells, with
relish. As said, I favor dried fish bones.  Trust your inclinations.

> Then there are the structures that are tougher than flesh, but softer than
> bone (I'm not sure what they're called).

Cartilage (sp?). It is kinda like pre-bone. I can't imagine that it isn't
calcium rich but I'm sure others will inform us one way or another. ;)

Cheers,
Kirt