From:
Gary Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:24:00 EST
Beverle:
>>The marvelously hot mustard in Chineses restuarants is just
>>dry powdered mustard - comes in a yellow can - mixed with water, wine or
beer

Don:
> No beer. It's made from forbidden grains.

I decided to check out the commercially prepared Chinese mustards last
night at the supermarket and they do indeed contain vinegar.  So instead I
went to the spice section and got a container of mustard powder.  I took it
home, mixed a little of it with water and it tastes great!  Very similar to
Chinese mustard, on the hot side.  Maybe not for everybody's tastes.  They
also had a Polish mustard at the supermarket which didn't contain any
vinegar, but it had some suspicious ingredients like "mustard flour" and
"edible acids."  I think I'll just stick to my mustard powder mixed with
water.  Easy to make.  I might in the future try mixing it with a little
wine vinegar or cider vinegar.

Todd
>Yes, but it's not paleo.  Get some ground mustard seed and add
>Scotch whisky until it is the right consistency.

Thanks, but the Scotch would probably cause me the same problem as the
vinegar - both made from grains.

Gary