From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:36:57 -0600
> >Anyone care to comment on this?
>
> Hi Jay. I would suggest that you check out Chet
> Day's site (http://www.chetday.com). When I first
> contacted Chet, he was probably the biggest
> apologist for the Hallelujah Diet around, and was
> promoting it quite 'religiously'. Now, although
> he follows a diet basically like the HD, he has
> added smallish quantities of animal foods back into
> his regimen. On his website he provides quite a bit
> of documentation and testimonials to support his
> 'new' version of the HD lifestyle.

I question that he has added "smallish quantities
of animal foods" back into his regimen. It looks like
to me that he has gone to a slightly improved
version of the SAD diet. His site offers a cookie of
the day recipe, along with many recipes
that call for flour tortillas and other grain based
food items. The Hallelujah Diet is predominately an
uncooked diet which excludes grains -- especially
processed ones --, and it looks like Chet is cooking
a much higher percentage of his food (to me at least).

> I believe he and the 'right reverend' had a falling
> out about this point a few years ago, which is why
> Chet is no longer one of HD's primary spokesmen.

The amount of people who claim that all their
diseases went away when going on the Hallelujah
Diet --myself included in that number -- is nothing
to sneeze at. However, a percentage
(a small one, I think) of those people developed
problems...and Chet Day uses these people as
an excuse to make it look like the Hallelujah Diet
is harmful (and it very well could be for some
people).

I have no reason to disbelieve the people on
Chet Day's site that ran into problems on the
Hallelujah Diet. I have no reason to disbelieve
that adding some animal products back to
their diets corrected these problems.

But I do question Chet Day's "solution" to
the problem, because it sure wasn't his
"cookie of the day" recipes that helped anyone.

> As far as paleo and evolution and religion go, you
> might do an online search of 'Bible Diet'. It is a
> spin on the paleo diet using dietary reccomendations
> as outlined in the book of Genesis (before the
> priesthood got involved :).

Being on the Hallelujah Diet for about a year
and a half, I have added small quantities of
animal products back to my diet over the last
couple of months. So far, everything is going
smooth.

My question with the China Project would
be if any in the study were vegetarian or
vegan. From what Malkmus is saying,
it is saying the fewer animal products, the
better. But "fewer" does not equal "none."
If this was answered in the study, it would
answer the accusations by Chet Day and
others.

But it equally could be saying that the
Hallelujah Diet, with small quantities of
animal products (a reduced meat paleo
diet), is actually healthier than the
Hallelujah Diet as written.

And by the way, I did find out that most
of the China Project is based on cooked
food.

Thanks for the comments!

Jay