From:
"C. ten Broeke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:31:04 +0100
And maybe they were just not as bothered as we are with wanting to have
different foods and tastes all the time.  Socalled primitive people and
even poor people in developed worlds are used to having limited choice.
I remember that 100 years ago farmers here in Holland would eat porridge
for breakfast, beans with potatoes for lunch and  porridge for dinner.
Once a week a piece of bacon and that was about it.
They did long for more and for variation because they could see those
better off with more choices of food. But that was out of reach and it
was all they mostly ate.
In slaughterseason (september, october) it was partytime with fresh meat
and making of sausages if they were lucky enough to own lifestock.  If
not, it was back to the porridge.
My former mother-in-law in Israel ate cous-cous every day of her life
and loves it.  She once tried macaroni and didn't think much of it.
Maybe it takes some getting used to but it can be done.
Students seem to survive on bread and peanutbutter ;-))

Christy