From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:13:37 -0500
Ashley Moran wrote:

> Perhaps.  Ray Audette claimed that obesity is an auto-immune disorder
> in Neanderthin.  And I once knew a woman who said that eating wheat
> made her weight balloon rapidly.  I'm sure there are plenty more
> people like her.  But I'm sure there are plenty of overweight people
> who would still be fat if they switched their carbs from wheat to
> rice, or some other switch where the carbohydrate source was
> different but the effect on insulin is the same.

The claim that obesity is an auto-immune disorder is one that I've
tended to be skeptical of.  For one thing, the definition of an
auto-immune disorder is a condition in which the body's immune system is
mobilized to attack its own tissues, "mistaking" them for invaders.
It's not clear what this has to do with obesity, and Audette doesn't
make it clear.  He simply points out some aspects of obesity that are
similar to auto-immune disorders.  Many people do correct obesity with
lowcarb diets, where the carb aren't necessarily paleo.

Todd Moody