From:
Ann MacGibbon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:48:50 -0400
Hi,

        I eat flaxseed to alleviate symptoms of menopause.  As side
benefits, since I've been eating it, my skin and hair are no longer dry, and
my fingernails have gotten much stronger and never break.

        Flaxseed contains quite a bit of protein as well as fats and
B-vitamins.  You can make snack bars using ground flaxseed, dried fruit, and
juice concentrate.  Here's how.  Put 1/2 c. juice concentrate (e.g. apple)
and 2 cups dried fruit (e.g., apples, cranberries, blueberries, apricots,
whatever, or a mixture) in a saucepan.  Cover and cook over medium-high heat
for 5 minutes until softened.  Grind up 1 and 1/4 cup flaxseed (measured
before grinding).  Put the ground seeds into a food processor.  Add the
dried fruit mixture, and 1T vanilla.  Process until the mixture is
doughlike.  When fully mixed, it will form a ball.  Press the dough evenly
into 9x9 or 8x8 in. cake pan.  Cut into 8 bars--three cuts in one direction
and one in the other.  Remove from the pan and store in a container in the
refrigerator.  They are hard to cut unless you do it right away.  The recipe
is from the book Estrogen the Natural Way, by Nina Shandler.

        Also, remember that flaxseed is very high in soluable fiber.  It
soaks up liquid at an unbelievable rate.  So you have to drink a lot of
water with it.  You need to drink about 5 times the volume of water as seed,
according to Udo Erasmas, author of Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill.

        I hope this helps.  Now I'll return to lurk mode.

Ann