Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:55:31 -0400
Kendra & Karen asked:

>David- do you make the cheese or purchase from a store?  What kind of cheese
>do you get, exactly?  What will ingredient list be?

If you eat cheese, I'd suggest getting unpasteurized, raw milk cheese that
is also certified organic. Sally Fallon talks about raw vs. pasteurized milk
products in her book NOURSHING TRADITIONS.   Dr. Weston Prices' work
documents the effects of pasteurized milk products as well.  Pasteurization
denatures some of the proteins and can often cause more problems due to the
effects that has on proteins and fats.  Homogenization is even worse!  Some
people, however, still get a lot of congestion even with cultured, raw milk
products, if eaten regularly.

>>>Uncovered food in our fridge can taste weird sometimes?  We are not sure
what it is attributed to?  Also, what is your fridge temperature normally to
age these meats?

There is an ecological product you can buy to keep your fridge fresh.  It is
non-toxic, eliminates odors, is supposed to keep food fresher longer, etc.
It is made by Seventh Generation and called *The Food Freshness System for
Refrigerators*.  (I have no connection to the company.  I just bought one of
these things at a health food store a few months ago. I think it helps.)

>>Does anyone know if the freezer actually kills any possible bacteria.

I know that freezing can kill parasites.  This has been noted by the USDA.
Many fish markets sell what they call SUSHI TUNA and SUSHI SALMON, which has
been frozen at -10 =9AF.  It retains a very bright color and is fantastic
sliced and served plain, marinated as per a recipe for Ceviche or with other
lemon or lime based marinades, or used to make Raw Tuna Salad.  Sally Fallon
mentions in her book that freezing meat for 14 days is supposed to kill
parasites.  (We've eaten unfrozen raw meat without ill effects....it was
grain fed, but it was hormone and antibiotic-free.)

Hoe this helps.

Rachel