From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:26:27 -0700
Richard Archer wrote:

>There's nothing stopping you from choosing a breed of chook (or indeed
>some other bird) which has not been as selectively bred by humans as
>modern poultry. I wonder if there is any place you can get "heritage"
>livestock the way you can get heritage seeds?

There are a number of hatcheries that carry "rare breeds".  These
chickens forage well; they are
slower growing; sometimes they get broody and raise their own chicks.
Here is my favorite site:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

You can also get rare-breed turkeys, which are smart with lots of
personality, natural-mating
and good mothers.  Unfortunately they fly right over any fence no matter
how high, and around
here the predators get them.  I had to give up on the turkeys.

    Lynnet