From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:55:31 -0500
The supplement discussion should also include consideration of plant
extracts taken for medicinal purposes.  I am having some success with
extracts of ginger and tumeric for reduction of joint capsule immflamation
in the hip.  There is likely no way to ingest sufficient quantity of the
active agents with the untreated plant source.  I disagree with the blanket
assertion that supplements "don't seem to do anything."
seriously consider peer reviewed studies with the funding source simply
constituting a piece of the overall data(not insignificant).  Logic and
experience dictate that good information may be generated even though the
funding source has a vested interest in the outcome. What is required are
competing interests to ensure a balance. Who is the "watchdog?" Is it a
government agency?  Is it the AMA? Is the vast financial resources of the
paleodiet community?  Is it high energy people who are able to effectively
utilize the www to rapidly spread information that effects the marketplace?
Rick