From:
Theola Walden Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:43:28 -0500
From: "Johnny Battle"

> Here are some reasonable-sounding thoughts on the subject:
> http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/salt.html

You're right.  This (1997?) position paper, authored by Somebody (Who?), is
very *reasonable-sounding.*   Mainly because its main points are the
familiar treadworn (maybe outworn?) ideas trotted out time and again for
public consumption from the "conventional" wisdom box  (e.g., "Ideally,
foods consumed during a long race should be low fat, low protein, high
carbohydrate, and provide a source of sodium."). Probably few of us on this
list would be willing to down all the refined sugar and wheat this guy
recommends as the best food to eat even for a shot at winning the Boston
Marathon.   And it doesn't quite jibe with Paleo-proponent/Professor of
Health and Exercise Science Loren Cordain.

> Seems like a better solution to hyponatremia,  is to increase electrolyte
intake >rather than decrease water intake.

 Balance is what's physiologically necessary.

>Dehydration is at least as serious and much more common than hyponatremia.

Is it?

See:
THE PHYSICIAN AND SPORTSMEDICINE - VOL 28 - NO. 9 - SEPTEMBER 2000
"Hyponatremia in Distance Athletes: Pulling the IV on the 'Dehydration
Myth'"
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/09_00/noakes.htm

Many of us come to Paleo via low-carb and continue this way.  But whether we
come via this route or not, we're probably all familiar with induced
diuresis from giving up/restricting starchy carbs.  And some of us don't
arrive here as athletes.  Or in perfect health, or without medication(s).  I
was simply answering a question from my own experience by relating the
electrolyte problem I had from downing lots of water while doing Atkins and
what I learned from it.  Since going Paleo,  I've had successive weeks of
being every bit as low-carb as I ever was on Atkins, and probably drinking
nearly as much water too, and haven't had the least problem.  I think giving
up all the Atkinsesque junk food (that had never routinely been a part of my
normal diet anyway) is what has made the difference.

For a very technical/clinical (and long and dry) look at the various faces
of hyponatremia, ("Hyponatremia is the most common electrolyte disorder,
with an incidence of approximately 1% of hospitalized patients."):
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic275.htm

HTH,

Theola